Call us from USA: 1 (347) 352 3573 (during Yangon day time)
Yangon Office: (95) 9799 230 125

 

Shwegugyi Temple

The Shwegugyi Temple, just to the west of the Pitakattaik, was built by King Alaungsithu in 1131 and straddles the earlier and middle periods of Bagan's architecture. Both the hall and the inner corridor have doorways and open windows, making it airy and well-lit.


The arch-pediments, pilasters, plinth and cornice mouldings are decorated with fine stucco carvings. Inside there is a Pali inscription recording King Alaungsithu's religious aspirations and that the temple was completed was completed in 7 months.